January 15, 2019

Montana Freelance Journalist, Andrew McKean Live From The (SHOT Show) In Las Vegas

View Calendar
January 24, 2019 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM

Montana Freelance Journalist, Andrew McKean Live From The (SHOT Show) In Las Vegas

Hunters Can Help Manage CWD

CWD has been found in fewer than 9 percent of jurisdictions in the U.S. That means residents of the other 91 percent can avoid the CWD problem. Here’s how.

A. Find out if the area where you hunt is CWD-positive. Visit the CWD Alliance (cwd-info.org) and click on the national map or state-specific links. If you subscribe to onX Hunt, click on the CWD layer.

B. Work to keep CWD out of your area. If you travel to hunt a CWD-positive area, submit every animal you kill for testing. Follow all carcass-transport rules, and do not eat any venison until you receive results of the CWD test. Never dispose of any part of a deer or elk from a CWD-infected area anywhere but an approved sanitary landfill. And if you hunt near a CWD area, voluntarily submit your deer for testing.

C. Report any sick or disoriented deer to the state wildlife agency. If you see someone illegally transporting whole carcasses of dead deer or any live deer, notify law enforcement immediately.

D. Reconsider your use of deer urine as a cover scent or lure. Use products approved by the Archery Trade Association’s Deer Protection Program (look for the blue ATA checkmark), which requires producers to adhere to stringent guidelines to reduce the risk of spreading CWD through infected urine.